Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Things They Carried

 Link for image

Tim O'Brien's short story "The Things They Carried," was very strange and unique.  I did not think that the whole story was actually going to be about the things they carried.  Each person that O'Brien spoke about in the story carried something unique, and I found that very intriguing.  I guess that is one thing you don't think about when you picture a soldier; the things that they carried.  It never occured to me that all of those little things they carry add up in weight and can get much heavier depending on the weather.
 Link for image
It was clear that Lieutenant Jimmy Cross was madly in love with Martha and I really did not want the story to end the way that it did.  The whole story is basically about Cross expressing his love for Martha and I wanted him to run away with her at the end, but I guess that's just the girl in me.  I think that in order for Lieutenant Jimmy Cross to do his job correctly, he had to stop loving Martha.  She took over all of his thoughts and controlled his emotions.  Cross felt that it was his fault that Lavender died because he could not stop thinking of Martha.  O'Brien's story really gave me a new outlook on soldiers in the war and the things that they carried.

Here is a website with some info on O'Brien.

No comments:

Post a Comment